[talk] Python

Edward Capriolo edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 13:47:59 EDT 2016

Also what you think is "readable" also is mostly about what you are
familiar with. Many people claim lisp like languages are very readable
because there is only "one form". However I find it difficult to grok
code-as-data.

As it relates to the present conversation, I find languages with no
explicit types confusing.

Take this:
def delete(mylist, item):

VS.

void delete(List<Integer> item, Integer item)

Mostly because in larger code bases if there is no direct test calling the
method it may be hard to understand exactly what types the arguments are.

You could argue that Clojure has a nice solution here. They allow type
less coding, however typing can be applied as an optimization. Clojure also
makes documentation a 1st class citizen by making documentation part of the
language rather than some afterthought like text inside /* */ that may or
may not follow a specific format.

I generally hate reading other peoples code and doing code reviews. Provide
me clear interfaces and unit tests, I dont want to go over code like a CP 1
teacher.

Once someone deployed something that I code reviewed. It crashed and
burned, and when I got there case about it they said, "Well you reviewed
it!"
Like somehow me looking at something for 1 hour that took someone else 1
week to write was going to find the hidden bugs. I told him, I'm not going
to review any more, I'm not your crutch. You are just going to have that
won't fail.You are going to have to write unit tests or do manual testing
to find edge cases. If i spend all day review code and finding other
peoples bugs I wont have time for my work.