[talk] meeting idea

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Wed Dec 14 20:59:56 EST 2016

I was involved with something like this a long time ago. (The AtomAge RNG
mentioned here:
https://seifried.org/security/cryptography/20000126-random-numbers.html)
Our architecture was quite similar to the Z1FFER <= 0.2.x.  It's very
difficult to eliminate the 60Hz (50Hz many places outside the USA) 'hum',
which will show up in your stream of (now not quite so) random numbers.
You'll also see periodic power supply 'noise' that can destroy the
randomness of the circuit.

We ended up battery powered, IIRC< 6 or 8 'D' cells.

The modular entropy multiplier architecture (which wasn't invented until
1999, several years after the AtomAge) solves the issues related to foreign
signal injection.  More reading on a similar (and still open source)
designs to the Z1FFER > 0.2.x (and the advantages of MEM) here:

https://github.com/waywardgeek/infnoise
https://github.com/alwynallan/redoubler

Jim

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 5:58 PM, Isaac (.ike) Levy <ike at blackskyresearch.net