[talk] Gitlabs going post-cloud with Metal

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue Dec 27 13:03:37 EST 2016

On 12/23/16 5:03 PM, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> So, a breath of fresh air:
>
> Gitlabs, (revenue for Github), is apparently leaving the cloud for metal.
>
> Their open-ish community input process is pretty cool, and their numbers and projections line up *exactly* with what I've presented before- (one order of magnitude cost savings over 3 years, with radically increased computing/network horsepower).
>
> As if that isn’t cool enough, NYI is one of the two datacenters they are considering, (w00t!)
>
> Their full breakdown and request for comments is here,
> https://about.gitlab.com/2016/12/11/proposed-server-purchase-for-gitlab-com/
>
> They posted a cost spreadsheet breakdown here,
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XG9VXdDxNd8ipgPlEr7Nb7Eg22twXPuzgDwsOhtdYKQ/edit#gid=894825456
>
> And for the adventurous, a Hacker News thread,
>
> --
> Absolutely worth a read for those interested in the topic- even the comments, it's interesting to me to see so much good old marketing FUD being spouted by cloud fanboys.  (Sounds just like Microsoft vs *NIX in the early 2000’s).
>
> And regarding their actual spec, it’s pretty interesting too- straightforward, if not a bit too many bells and whistles going nuts with gear IMHO :)  Even with the bells and whistles, their cost comes down to reasonable/sustainable levels- good stuff…  After growing something as big as Gitlabs in AWS, I certainly guess they *deserve* to rock some bells and whistles.

Thanks .ike this is interesting.  I just left a Github shop where we had
a github enterprise VM; it was "ok" aside from the fact i was an ubuntu
VM security updates were pretty disruptive.

at my new gig we are using gitlab and i'm actually pretty happy with it.
  one thing i've been able to do was use their native gitlab-runner for
C.I. (and side-stepping a whole bunch of jenkins servers i don't have
control over):
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ci-multi-runner/blob/master/docs/install/freebsd.md

the runner is a golang program, and it "just works".  having official
builds from them is great though as it's allowing me to use this for my
freebsd dev/prod infrastructure seamlessly, while not having to spend
cycles porting their code.

...i should get off my ass and get my blog online and start documenting
this stuff ;)

-pete

--
Pete Wright