[talk] *BSD experiments

Robert Menes viewtiful.icchan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 12:51:11 EST 2016

Hey folks!

I'm glad I came to the installfest in January! It was nice meeting
everyone, and I want
to extend a big thanks to George for giving me a FreeBSD SD card for my Pi!
I've been
playing with it on and off and learning a bit more about how the BSDs work
under the hood!

No, I'm not leaving Linux behind, but learning BSD is beneficial! ;)

Anyways, I've thrown together an extra box with some spare parts over the
weekend. The specs
aren't the greatest; it's a Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM and only an Nvidia
GeForce 6200 PCI card
for video (the motherboard is an Intel DG41MJ motherboard in Mini-ITX
size), but I'm thinking
about installing a BSD onto it and learning more about the OS with it. That
said, I'm deciding
between FreeBSD, PC-BSD, or even going with DragonflyBSD to study its
Amiga-esque roots.

OpenBSD and NetBSD are off the list for now as I'm keeping those for older
machines, and
OpenBSD may be going onto my old ThinkPad T42.

So what would be the best bet for my spare box?

Cheers!

--Robert

--
Nobody's ever lost in life...they're merely taking the scenic route.