[talk] LiteBSD and RetroBSD: the hardware for the July meeting

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed Jun 22 20:32:05 EDT 2016

On 06/22/16 19:15, Brian Callahan wrote:
> One other thing to note (inline):
>
> On 6/22/2016 7:12 PM, Brian Callahan wrote:
>> Hi everyone --
>>
>> I'm doing next month's meeting on RetroBSD and LiteBSD. The hardware
>> these things run on are cheap and readily available, and likely the
>> meeting will be much more fun if people are hacking along with me.

Ah, the long awaited "get hardware to get involved email"...

:)

comments inline.

>> So here's a list of hardware depending on whether or not you want to run
>> RetroBSD or LiteBSD. If you need help deciding, RetroBSD is a port of
>> 2.11BSD and LiteBSD is a 4.4BSD-Lite2 based OS (like all the modern big
>> BSDs).
>>
>> No matter what, you'll need a microSD card.
>>
>> RetroBSD:
>> http://retrobsd.org/wiki/doku.php/board/index
>> I recommend the Olimex PIC32-RetroBSD and the chipKIT Max32. Keep in
>> mind that if you go with the Max32, you'll need an Arduino Ethernet
>> shield R3 (for its microSD card slot).
>>
>> LiteBSD:
>> http://litebsd.org/
>> I recommend the chipKIT WiFIRE board and the Olimex EMZ64. If you buy
>> the EMZ64 you will need their UEXT to USB RS232 adapter:
>> https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/Interface/MOD-USB-RS232/open-source-hardware
>> -- alternatively, you could use telnet to access the EMZ64 (this is
>> indeed what I do with my EMZ64) but it is slower and you'll need a switch.
>
> The EMZ64 requires a chipKIT external programmer to flash the kernel
> onto the board. The WiFIRE does not need any external equipment to get
> LiteBSD onto it (and neither of the recommended RetroBSD boards need an
> external programmer either). I'm happy to bring my PICkit3 programmer to
> the meeting for people.

In order to make sure people can flash/access their hardware, can you be
sure to have all necessary cables, a switch, etc?

I'm hoping we can be hands-on during or after the meeting.

>> I do ask that if you purchase from Olimex, you mention me. Olimex has
>> been great with supporting the RetroBSD and LiteBSD communities and it
>> would be nice to show them that we RetroBSD/LiteBSD devs are
>> contributing back to them. Their hardware is also all Open Hardware,
>> which I think is nice.

Better yet, mention Brian C, these BSDs and that you're going to be at a
NYC*BUG hackathon on July 6.

>> Also, as of this morning, LiteBSD builds on FreeBSD! I will be
>> submitting a port to build the LiteBSD toolchain, but I can provide a
>> (10.x) binary for those who want to play around before the meeting.

What about OpenBSD?  I thought you mentioned it also as a build system?

(previously, the images could only be compiled from Windows and Linux IIRC)

>> Hope to see everyone out for the meeting with hardware!

Very much looking forward to the meeting.

Maybe give us an outline of what you intend to cover?