[talk] pfSense hardware recommendation

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Tue Mar 1 18:31:23 EST 2016

Pat

  Pcengines.ch makes two devices that work well for small to medium setups . The alix and apu. Both can have 3 wired Ethernet , options are available for using mini pci and mini pci-e cards like wireless , storage and ssl offload .  The apu is the more capable box I personally use an alix at home .  Other options I have use are soekris.com net4801 and net4501 . They are similar to the pcengines alix with a slightly slower and different CPUs .The 4501 also has very limited resources now a days .  Lastly I have also used old hp thin clients , t5704 and others . Their selling point is they can be fairly powerful for next to nothing on eBay . Dual core atom CPUs 2 gig ram Intel gig-e. Some have pci-e and mini pci-e slots built in wireless , and even quad core 64bit amd and Intel CPUs .  Always check the "model + quick spec" off google to check for CPU type and expansion options. Expansions boxes for extra pci/pci-e slots are out there for cheep and also some boxes use odd arm CPUs and should be avoided .

---
Mark Saad | mark.saad at ymail.com