[talk] despair with linux

Sujit K M kmsujit at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 08:32:56 EDT 2016

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 4:53 PM, Mark Saad <mark.saad at ymail.com> wrote:

> Easier said ; culturally Linux has become windows from 15 - 20 years ago .  Remember how people used to say windows is such trash the world would be better if we all use Linux ?  The problem is the people who made Windows trash just moved on to using Linux .

I mean there was a distancing with people using Windows. That is not
there in Linux. But there are a lot of rants saying
Linux Developer are more theoretical "not much practical experience,
if you see linux, most the distros are easy to install,
upgrade/recover because of the support they have also easy to sell in
immigrant workers if you are just looking for a job
in a first world country, easy to learn basics like kernel compilation".

> Ed I can't agree more here . One thing I do dislike about the sun model was the idea of rebuilding other tools at the same time . For example we got logadm in place of logrotate.   My gut feeling why stuff like that happens is corporate software development; imagine working at sun when zfs is released? How do you show you are worth your salt , when you don't work on zfs ?  I know you polish some other tool , to make yourself look cool too .

This is primarily because they wanted to sell their own technologies
other than Solaris OS like Sun Studio.

> I suspect working at redhat is similar. But I am not sure what their zfs is .

ZFS Equivalent many villlans like XFS/Lustre or JFS.