[talk] S3 Work-a-likes

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Thu Nov 3 13:22:20 EDT 2016

> On Thursday, November 3, 2016 12:40 PM, Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:
> >

> On 11/3/16 8:48 AM, Mark Saad wrote:

> the two
>>>  that I know of.

> Illumos ,
>>>  Linux and maybe even  Windows.

> Including
>>>  Project-Fifo.net, Rakuten.com

>>>  Ceph has radosgw which is a REST gateway to emulate s3.
>>

>>  Trish
>>    I want to know why everyone is talking about ceph ? Not that I am in love
> with LeoFS .
>>  But ceph has lots of issues on not linux.
>>

> tl;dr version: it's shite.  the longer story...it's shite and focused on
>
> linux pretty much.
>
> i kid i kid - it's def some interesting technology, but even before
> RedHat acquired Inktank there was a ton of linux specific foo baked into

> the code.

Redhat has a way of removing support for non-linux from their code.

Going way back up2date and gfs were both once supported on FreeBSD .

> and even if you are running it on linux it's really unstable IMHO
> outside of some specific use-cases.  but even then, using it as a block
> storage backend for openstack for example, it is definitely not for the

> faint of heart to implement and maintain at scale.

So I have heard this argument that its great for openstack. But I was shocked to

hear that people are trying to use it as a block store for the kvms.

Why is this better then OCFS2 or GFS2 ? Or ever so why is this better then
iSCSI or AoE  ? a

My 2C is that is new and shiny .

-- Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com