[talk] FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE on the PcEngines APU2

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Tue Oct 25 16:41:41 EDT 2016

> On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 12:54 PM, Mark Saad <mark.saad at ymail.com> wrote:
> >

>>  On Monday, October 24, 2016 4:43 PM, Shawn Webb
> <shawn.webb at hardenedbsd.org> wrote:
>>  > On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 04:10:03PM -0400, George Rosamond wrote:
>>
>>>   On 10/24/16 15:43, Mark Saad wrote:
>>>   > All I was wondering if anyone was running FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE on
>>>   > PcEngine's APU2 ?
>>>
>>>   11-RELEASE on APU1 here
>>>
>>>   >
>>>   > I am running into a strange issue with the serial console. On a
> fresh
>>>   > install of 10.3-RELEASE (all amd64 installs btw)
>>>   >
>>>   > the APU2 correctly outputs the console to the serial port. The
>>>   > installer see's I am on a serial port and askes me to select
> my
>>>   > terminal . The install works and I am left with a working box.
> Now
>>>   > if I upgrade to 11.0-RELEASE
>>>   >
>>>   > my console is now working. No method of adjusting boot.config
> with -D
>>>   > -S115200 or adjusting loader.conf with
>>>   >
>>>   > boot_serial or comconsole works either. So I decided to try a
> fresh
>>>
>>>   I have this in my /boot/loader.conf
>>>
>>>   boot_serial="yes"
>>>   comconsole_speed="115200"
>>>   console="comconsole"
>>>

>>>   > install of 11.0-RELEASE in the hopes I somehow broke the upgrade;
>>>   > However the system stops displaying output after the loader
> passes
>>>   > the console to the kernel. Booting with -D will get the system to
>>>   > display the kernel boot up messages, but it then hangs at random:
>>>   > unblocking device.  I am not sure whats broken here ? setting
>>>   > console=serial kills the console as if its outputting to another
>>>   > serial port . In any case I am reverting back to 10.3-RELEASE for
>>>   > now. Anyone have any ideas ?
>>>
>>>   I haven't looked closely at why.. but I bet the above
> /boot/loader.conf
>>>   solves it.
>>>
>>>   I need to look at the release notes, but am happy to say that
> blacklistd
>>>   is now in the FreeBSD base system, and am just waiting to put in on a
>>>   public box.
>>
>>  I can give it another try this weekend, but I think mine is busted and I
>>  need to either RMA or order a new one. For more info why I think mine's
>>  busted:
>>

> http://www.pcengines.info/forums/?page=post&id=3B327362-FD62-4B6E-8C96-26D003D5F8CB&fid=DF5ACB70-99C4-4C61-AFA6-4C0E0DB05B2A
>>
>>  --
>>  Shawn Webb
>>  Cofounder and Security Engineer
>
>>  HardenedBSD>
>>  GPG Key ID:          0x6A84658F52456EEE
>>  GPG Key Fingerprint: 2ABA B6BD EF6A F486 BE89  3D9E 6A84 658F 5245 6EEE
>

> Two follow up quesitons for you shawn ? Did you upgrade the bios on the box
> [...]

Shawn
   After a lot of testing it appears to be a bug in the bios of the APU but I am not sure exactly how or why 11.x is acting up with it. Its odd
as pre 11.x will boot up and the bootloader and kernel will output to the serial console wiht out any special options . No boot.conf no loader.conf options.
11.x and on require what George noted above.

Also I was able to flash the bios using flashrom in 9.3 and 10.3 RELEASES.

-- Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com> -- Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com>