[talk] X11 setup, basic question

fire crow fire at firecrow.com
Fri Apr 14 23:56:56 EDT 2017

On Apr 14, 2017 8:45 PM, "Mark Saad" <mark.saad at ymail.com> wrote:

Hi Ike

> On Apr 14, 2017, at 7:53 PM, Isaac (.ike) Levy <ike at blackskyresearch.net>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> So I fixed it!  Was missing a package:
>
> xf86-video-intel-2.99.917.20170228 Driver for Intel integrated graphics
> chipsets
>
> I'm at a loss as to how it dissappeared, (or if it was even installed in
> the first place).

I'm glad you found it, i was going to suggest comeing through the xorg
logs, for me it was referend to as int10 for the onboard intel card, which
id didnt think i had because my main card was nvidia, intel was the
integrates chip on the board but still required for X.

~fire

 I had this same issue ; it looks like the latest xorg package depends were
a little wacky . So here is what I tracked down .

I was using slim for a login manager and it changed from needing a .xinitrc
to a .xsession this bit me.

Also newer xorg has supports modesettings over xorg drivers . My old static
xorg file didn't work . I am not sure exactly what changed but nukeing it
worked for me as well .

> Anyhow, suspend/resume back to working, screen lights back up and dims,
> orignal xorg.conf working again, everything fine.
>
> --
> Now a better question: X11 - will any open source replacement emerge in
> our lifetime?  I mean like a total replacement.

Wayland is in ports . But no idea what the state is

> I got pretty comfy/lazy with Macs over the years, and X still causes me
> grief.  As a user, OpenBSD X11 was far less prone to total-meltdown, and
> far better documented and cleaned up- but still X.

I agree but the reason is clear for me . Openbsd support a version of xorg
for each release. FreeBSD potentially supports a bunch of them ; via ports
and now pkgng. So the breakage is to be accepted imho .  Maybe it's time
for stable / long term ports .

> Best,
> .ike
>

>> On 04/14/17 18:49, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:
>> Hey All,
>>
>> ---------
>> WONDERFUL
>>
>> FreeBSD REL on a Lenovo X230, had X11 working GREAT.  Suspend/resume
>> working great, (using devd to trigger 'acpiconf -s 3' on lid close, [was
>> never working when twiddling hw.acpi.lid_switch_state]).
>>
>> Been working like a champ for a couple months, enjoying really living
>> with ZFS on my laptop for the first time ever.  Like almost enjoying
>> this as much as I enjoyed OpenBSD on this rig.
>>
>> -------
>> PROBLEM
>>
>> I ran freebsd-update and complete pkg upgrades today, (last time was
>> 2weeks ago) and all went to hell.
>>
>> # uname -a
>> FreeBSD ...11.0-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p9 #0: Tue Apr 11
>> 08:48:40 UTC 2017
>> root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>>
>> List of broken bits:
>> - x11 would not light (using xfce)
>>  - display 0 issue, completely removed old /etc/xorg.conf and x11 lit
>> - x11 will not exit, just goes to a blue screen and freezes
>> - lenovo fn keys like brightness no longer work,
>>  (xbacklight also throwing error "No outputs have backlight property")
>> - suspend/resume no longer lights the display, but appear to wake the
system
>>  (I haven't seen that problem in some time)
>>
>> ---------
>> QUESTIONS
>>
>> Tabula rasa, I feel starting from scratch with X is in order.
>> Has anyone seen any good tutorials covering setup of lenovo laptops
>> using FreeBSD?  (Modern stuff, not old 8.x/9.x era stuff- which there is
>> plenty of online...)
>>
>> Or, does anyone have any pointers on how I could have screwed up here?
>> (e.g. I could have missed some critical message during my updates, but I
>> have no idea where I missed it?!)
>>
>> Any thoughts or notes much appreciated- it's a real bummer to hoze one's
>> laptop...
>>
>> Best,
>> .ike

---