[talk] Updated FreeBSD Graphics For Intel GPU's

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue Aug 29 13:11:10 EDT 2017

hey everyone - so i've been helping test the work that the FreeBSD folks
have been doing to get support for modern Intel GPU's based on the i915
chipset (which is a majority of the laptops shipped these days).  The
initial work was to improve the linux KBI interface in FreeBSD which
allowed the developers to easily import the linux i915 code into
FreeBSD.  The decision was also made to create a port of this work -
much in the same way that the Nvidia Xorg drivers are handled.

I've been dog-fooding this code for quite a while now and while there
are some rough edges it looks like this work has been accepted by the
ports team:

https://reviews.freebsd.org/rP448928

I think this is a major milestone, and hopefully will make it easier for
FreeBSD devs and users to finally ditch macbooks and start using FreeBSD
as their daily driver!

Cheers,

-pete

--