[talk] Updated FreeBSD Graphics For Intel GPU's

Malcolm Matalka mmatalka at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 02:11:17 EDT 2017

Scott Robbins <scottro11 at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 07:49:07AM +0000, Malcolm Matalka wrote:
>> Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> writes:
>>
>> > hey everyone - so i've been helping test the work that the FreeBSD folks have been doing to get support for modern Intel GPU's based on the
>> > i915 chipset (which is a majority of the laptops shipped these days).  The initial work was to improve the linux KBI interface in FreeBSD
>> > which allowed the developers to easily import the linux i915 code into FreeBSD.  The decision was also made to create a port of this work -
>> > much in the same way that the Nvidia Xorg drivers are handled.
>> >
>> > I've been dog-fooding this code for quite a while now and while there are some rough edges it looks like this work has been accepted by the
>> > ports team:
>>
>> Do you know if this means it'll start showing up TrueOS UNSTABLE woon?
>>
> I was under the impression that TrueOS is already using the drm-next stuff.
> (I'm going on a vague memory of a message from Warren Block after I'd
> mentioned my issues with an Intel card on FreeBSD forums, but I can't find
> it.)
>
> If you do try with TrueOS, please update us.

I've been running TrueOS UNSTABLE on an Asus UX350CA (i think) ZenBook,
which is Skylake for awhile.  I don't know if the contents of this
thread are in what I'm running but my experience is:

- Video flickers.  Watching something full screen will have the screen
  half-updated when it changes a lot.

- Screen brightness doesn't work.

- Suspend/resume worked for a month and then broke, which makes me sad.

Crossing my fingers all of these will be solved in the near future,
especially screen brightness.  It's like staring at the sun for too
long.

And those three things left are after a long time of having to run scfb,
so it's come a long way and I'm very grateful for the hard work others
have done.

/Malcolm