[talk] Updated FreeBSD Graphics For Intel GPU's

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Thu Aug 31 12:53:45 EDT 2017

On 08/30/2017 23:11, Malcolm Matalka wrote:
> Scott Robbins <scottro11 at gmail.com> writes:

>>> Do you know if this means it'll start showing up TrueOS UNSTABLE woon?
>>>
>> I was under the impression that TrueOS is already using the drm-next stuff.
>> (I'm going on a vague memory of a message from Warren Block after I'd
>> mentioned my issues with an Intel card on FreeBSD forums, but I can't find
>> it.)
>>
>> If you do try with TrueOS, please update us.
> I've been running TrueOS UNSTABLE on an Asus UX350CA (i think) ZenBook,
> which is Skylake for awhile.  I don't know if the contents of this
> thread are in what I'm running but my experience is:
>
> - Video flickers.  Watching something full screen will have the screen
>    half-updated when it changes a lot.
>
> - Screen brightness doesn't work.
>
> - Suspend/resume worked for a month and then broke, which makes me sad.
>
> Crossing my fingers all of these will be solved in the near future,
> especially screen brightness.  It's like staring at the sun for too
> long.
>
> And those three things left are after a long time of having to run scfb,
> so it's come a long way and I'm very grateful for the hard work others
> have done.

out of curiosity - are you seeing that behavior using the modesetting or
intel-i915 xorg driver?  my experience using modesetting (and glamor for
GL acceleration) has been pretty good on both skylake and kabylake
systems and has been more stable than the intel-i915 xorg driver.  for
example i frequently watch youtube and other html5 videos with
acceptable playback.

suspend and resume has been working on my end for quite a while as well
- although there are certainly some *very* rough edges in this regard.
one sysctl knob that may help is:

hw.acpi.reset_video=1

-pete

--