[talk] Re New Laptop

Scott Robbins scottro11 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 13:40:40 EDT 2017

Somehow, my previous reply to this got lost. So if my other answer shows
up, apologies.

Anyway, I have a yoga2 (which also has a hi-res screen, 3200x1800 which
creates its own problems.)

I don't have much info on touch screends for the BSDs, as I don't use them,
but FreeBSD may have trouble with later Intel cards.  You may have to use
CURRENT and the drm-next-4.7 git repo, which will have its own
problems--for example, on a recent install of snapshot, then the latest git
repo for drm-next, I couldn't get firefox to run.

On OpenBSD, I found that the iwm driver wouldn't connect to a hidden
wireless network. Also, when I replaced the card with a dual channel, even
when connected to a 5GHz network, its wireless was slow. I would recommend
if planning to play with BSDs on it, to get a USB to ethernet cable.
This was with a recent snapshot.

Linux Mint and Fedora's live workstation both worked well with the
touchscreen, but all I did was drag a couple of windows around.

I have more details on FreeBSD with the drm-next git repo at
http://srobb.net/freebsdintel.html

When running Fedora with openbox or dwm, however, the touchscreen didn't
really work.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6