[talk] Re New Laptop

Brian Cully bcully at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 19:54:51 EDT 2017

> On 1-Jul-2017, at 13:40, Scott Robbins <scottro11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On OpenBSD, I found that the iwm driver wouldn't connect to a hidden
> wireless network. Also, when I replaced the card with a dual channel, even
> when connected to a 5GHz network, its wireless was slow. I would recommend
> if planning to play with BSDs on it, to get a USB to ethernet cable.
> This was with a recent snapshot.

	I couldn’t get good performance out of FreeBSD with any of the USB WiFi dongles I tried. Support may be better with PCIe cards, but I don’t have slots for those. So I tried:

		* otus with a NetGear WN111 v2
		* urtwn with ASUS USB-N10 NANO
		* run with D-Link DWA-162

	All of them were dreadful, and only the D-Link could actually use the 5GHz band. Of course, since none of the drivers supported 802.11n, that was 802.11a on 5GHz.

	I eventually gave up, grabbed an old apple Airport router I had around to use as a WiFi extender, and plugged my FreeBSD boxen into that via ethernet.

-bjc