[talk] Suggest meeting topic: role of BSD in response to ransomware

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue Jul 11 13:49:06 EDT 2017

On 07/11/2017 07:43, Sujit K M wrote:
>> I don't want to distract from the question James asked, but this statement
>> above is incorrect; I typically refain from responding to these, but this is
>> just wrong.
> This should be joke, stop complaining without facts. We have Cisco and Juniper
> where most of the networking routers are based on an FreeBSD Based OS. Most
> of web facing httpd servers are using FreeBSD.
When did IOS and NX/OS move over to FreeBSD?  Also Arista's run linux
(and redhat at that yikes!), and most of the cloud infra (AWS, Google,
Azure) are running software defined networks (SDN) which is most likely
also running a linux kernel (and a debian userland - yikes again!).

now, i would rather see these above systems (esp the SDN vendors) *not*
run Linux and run a BSD variant (OpenBSD specifically) - but it's the
unfortunate truth that a majority of switching and routing is most
likely done by either a linux kernel or a proprietary kernel.

-p

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org