[talk] pkgsrcCon 2017 London, stream / schedule (1/07/2017)

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Thu Jul 13 15:20:00 EDT 2017

Patrick McEvoy:
> evan Janiyan wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Thank for the tips, Saturday was a bit of rush and though a feed via XLR
>> connectors was possible, we couldn't get it working, settling on using
>> the mic on the webcam to capture from the PA.
>>
>> Rookie mistakes, I should've adjusted the microphone on the speaking
>> stand for each speaker to capture their voice better and lighting but
>> that'll have to be next time, now.
>>
>> I'm trying to get the videos uploaded to archive.org but boy is their
>> upload function terrible. I don't have flash installed and their
>> alternative uploader keeps on barfing. I'm now on day 3 of trying get
>> the videos on there. Tried Safari, Chrome & FireFox :(
>>
>> Luckily, the videos and slides are available here
>> http://pkgsrc.org/pkgsrcCon/2017/talks.html
>> and a report here
>> https://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/pkgsrccon_2017_report
>>
>> Thanks again for the help on getting setup :)
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> Sevan

> Glad you found it helpful. Cons offer a special type of chaos.
> I look forward to meeting up with you at one in the future and actually
> having the time to share a beer. I will be working out some more
> streaming & recording kinks in the future and would be happy to share.
> Till then, take care.

Oh, everyone knows cons are easy.  Demos and streaming are the easiest part!

When we did the first con, Ike argued video recording only worked if you
hired an outside firm, particularly in open source land.

I argued against it.  We didn't get actually uploaded video or streaming
until Patrick, I think. In the process of me recognizing I was wrong, we
never had any recordings. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure nothing
worked until Patrick took control.