[talk] OT: Free Secondary DNS?

Thomas Kula kula at tproa.net
Fri Mar 10 13:32:51 EST 2017

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 01:06:44PM -0500, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Any recommendations for free secondary DNS for personal use?
>
> I’m currently using HE.net’s service, which is wonderful, but does not yet support DNSSEC (which is odd, since they run PowerDNS).
>
> I’m mainly looking for:
>
> - dual stack
> - DNSSEC
> - multiple servers and/or anycast
> - free or super cheap
>
> I’ve found a few lists, including this:
>
> http://bornoe.org/blog/2015/10/free-secondary-slave-dns/
>
> Any other suggestions welcome, I assume there must be at least a few people here using this type of service…

I've been slowly moving my personal stuff to hidden primary and using
Someone Else(TM) as the public face of my DNS. I've happily been using
Dyn's managed DNS service --- amusingly, I switched stuff over the very
week their highly-publicised DDoS attack happened. Can't say anything
about DNSSEC, but they've got the rest, they can do zone transfers from
my hidden master, and I think the base level is something like $7 a
month (I pay slightly more based on the number of records I have).

My recent project is evaluating other providers to add redundancy, but
that's in the very beginning stages.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula at tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/