[talk] a Guardian article

Antti Kantee pooka at iki.fi
Fri Mar 31 10:56:05 EDT 2017

On 31/03/17 13:09, George Rosamond wrote:
> Mirimir:

>>> A Tor exit node? :)
>>
>> Or install Hola VPN, which routes users through other users' uplinks.
>> And sells them as a service through Luminati.
>
> I think it depends on what he means by "fake traffic." My first read of
> his email was to assume he meant "fake news."... oh these crazy times...
>
> Tor, without acting as an exit, can generate encrypted traffic depending
> on usage and configuration.
>
> Or you could just run a background script pulling/pushing traffic over
> ftp/curl/fetch/wget from a $hosts list...

Well, if the attack is the ISP looking at your traffic, generating a
profile, and selling that to advertisers (or who knows where), and fake
traffic is the countermeasure, then fake traffic should somehow prevent
the attack from happening.  In other words, the traffic should look like
a handful of people browsing, but be "all over the place" so as to
prevent profiling -- e.g. generate traffic both to fox news and msnbc
and also somewhere else for actual news.

I fear that approaches such as a tor exit node supply traffic which is
all too easy to discard from consideration for the profile.

Hmm, I just wrote a mail about a subject I don't know anything about and
hope someone else did the work.  The spirit of open source is truly in me!