[talk] Used parts outlet?

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Mon Nov 20 08:39:28 EST 2017

Hi there,

Good question, not such good answers:

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017, at 05:27 PM, Beeblebrox wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> Just moved back to NYC area after living for two decades in Europe.

Wow how things have sadly changed for hardware in two decades.

- There are no longer any small computer stores, the exceptions prove
this. (Just retail fashion outlets like the Apple store which happen to
sell odd toy things that contain computers.)

- There are no longer any large computer stores, with one exception-
MicroCenter.  When MicroCenter BK opened there was actually chering and
jubilation amongst us geeks.  Seriously, the big-box MicroCenter got
cheers.  We're that starved.

> I brought my MoBo & HDDs with me, but there was no point of lugging the
> case and power unit over the ocean.
> I found a 550w Power Sup on Amazon for about $17, but the case is a
> problem as I'd prefer to buy a used one for 15-20 bucks.

Online is your best bet.  MicroCenter is a great "I need this now"
option.

The recycling center note that Charles posted is a good idea too, but in
NYC, it's really hard to figure out how to get at the stuff- (and
impossible to know if some component has sat out with the trash in the
rain or something).

> Anyone have an old ATX compatible box laying around or maybe point me to
> a decent second hand electronics outfit?

Closest second-hand electronics outfit I can think of would be places in
Southern California.  (Frys, UNIX Surplus, etc...)

--
Curious: what's this scene like in countries in Europe?  Is there a
culture of sustainable/decent hardware computer stores?

Best,
.ike