[talk] dmesg writes, usb stick booting

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Thu Oct 5 21:05:59 EDT 2017

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017, at 08:27 PM, George Rosamond wrote:
> Isaac (.ike) Levy:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm interested in doing some laptop hardware evaluations.
> >
> > I remember some years ago, somebody had made a cool multi-bsd bootable
> > image, which had a writable partition which mounted under each BSD on
> > it?  (Was this Dru Lavigne if I remember correctly?)
> >

> BSD Certification Group... it was Jim Brown who has done these.
>
> > Did anyone keep that up?  (I somehow remember it being a script which
> > allowed a user to specify the disk image for each OS being loaded, so it
> > was easier to keep up with OS updates.)
>
> Jim is on list (I think)... so he can reply, but I think the build
> script is out there.  It's QEMU based IIRC.

Ahh- I remember that too- the training disk.  I'm talking about
something different- actually booting the OS to get clean dmesg(8)
output.  The thing I'm speaking of was made specifically for laptop
shopping :)

> > --
> > Anyhow, if nobody remembers that gem - I'm totally looking for any easy
> > instructions on making *BSD from USB media, with a writable partition
> > (to simply get dmesg output).  FreeBSD/OpenBSD are my particular
> > targets, but any general instructions would be most appreciated.
>
> Can you clarify?
>
> So you want all the BSDs to boot off usb, and then to have a writeable
> slice for dumping the dmesg?

Yes- but I'm looking for the lazy man's instructions.  FreeBSD handbook
kind of 1-2-3 instructions.
The kind of thing I can even ask someone else to do, with minimal fuss.

> And dmesgd is a great destination for those dmesgs!

Naturally :)

> I can now see hundreds of BSD people around the globe wandering big-box
> computer stores booting off USB sticks before security arrives...

Wait, I've been doing that for years- (but just reading them not keeping
them).

Best,
.ike