[talk] Fwd:

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Thu Oct 19 11:11:42 EDT 2017

On 10/18/2017 19:42, fire crow wrote:
> Hi Pete/Talk,
> i'm having a kernel panic when trying to run the latest
> freebsd-base-graphics branch. wondering if anyone else has seen this
> issue or how i can report it/who i can debug it with.
>
> here are the steps i have taken
>
> $ git clone https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics
> $ git checkout drm-next
> $ mv /usr/src /usr/src.current
> $ mkdir /usr/src
> $ cp freebsd-base-graphics/* /usr/src
> $ cd /usr/src
> $ make -j2 buildworld
> $ make -j2 kernel
> $ shutdown -r now
> then i arrive in the kernel panic ( screenshot attached)
>
> here is what pciconf says about my graphics card
> $ pciconf -lv | grep -A 2 vgapci
> vgapci0 at pci0:0:2:0  class=0x030000 card=0x390517aa chip=0x22b18086
> rev=0x35 hdr=0x0
> vender = 'Intel Corporation'
> device = 'Atom/Celeron/PEndium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx
> Integrated Graphics Controller'
>
> and here is my /boot/loader.conf
> if_iwm_load="YES"
> iwm3160fw_load="YES"
> i915kms_load="YES"
> hw.vga.textmode=1
> kern.vt.fb.default_mode="1336x768"
>
> all suggestions welcome
> ~fire

hrm, i don't think this Atom chipset uses Intel HD Graphics (aka i915
GPU's).  having said that i'm surprised it results in a panic. one thing
you can try is to build/install a stock 12-CURRENT world and kernel on
your system, then install the drm-next-kmod port/pkg:

$ pkg info|grep drm-next
drm-next-kmod-g20170918        DRM modules for the linuxkpi-based KMS
components
$

this is what i'm running now since the drm-next devs have merged their
code upstream, so no need to run code off of the drm-next github branch
anymore!  it's possible there is some instability in that repo right now
as i think they are updating things for linux-4.10 compatibility - so
give the port/pkg a shot and see if that helps.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org