[talk] ARM - any Tier-1 *BSD options?

Shawn Webb shawn.webb at hardenedbsd.org
Mon Aug 6 20:55:20 EDT 2018

On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 08:18:18PM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So I???m starting to rely on a Pi or two here and there and I???m finding the upgrade options for FreeBSD to be a bit??? labor intensive.  I was hoping for ???freebsd-update??? but that???s not an option apparently.
>
> So for all the ARM fans here, what are my options?
>
> - Is FreeBSD going to be making any ARM stuff "Tier 1" soon?

That was planned for 12.0, but from an outsider's perspective, will
probably happen in 13.0

> - Do either NetBSD or OpenBSD consider the Pi ???Tier 1????
> - Do either NetBSD or OpenBSD have some binary upgrade equivalent to ???freebsd-update????

HardenedBSD does with hbsd-update. We provide a package repo as well.
The only exploit mitigation not in HardenedBSD 12-CURRENT/arm64 that
is enabled in 12-CURRENT/amd64 is SafeStack. Otherwise, complete
feature parity, even with non-Cross-DSO CFI.

HardenedBSD has generic arm64 nightly builds of 12-CURRENT:
http://jenkins.hardenedbsd.org/builds/HardenedBSD-CURRENT-arm64-LATEST/

We also have periodic builds for the RPI3:
http://hardenedbsd.org/~shawn/rpi3

And periodic builds for the Pine64-LTS:
https://hardenedbsd.org/~shawn/pine64-lts

Thanks,

--
Shawn Webb
Cofounder and Security Engineer

Tor-ified Signal:    +1 443-546-8752
Tor+XMPP+OTR:        lattera at is.a.hacker.sx
GPG Key ID:          0x6A84658F52456EEE
GPG Key Fingerprint: 2ABA B6BD EF6A F486 BE89  3D9E 6A84 658F 5245 6EEE