[talk] FreeBSD drm-next now available on 11-STABLE

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Sun Feb 18 20:00:38 EST 2018

On 02/18/2018 16:30, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 04:17:44PM -0800, Pete Wright wrote:
>> hope this isn't considered spam - but thought this may be interesting to
>> folks wanting to something other that CURRENT on their systems while getting
>> accelerated graphics:
>>
>> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2018-February/088406.html
>>
>> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=DRM-Next-KMOD-On-FreeBSD-11
>>
>> tl;dr the same linux-kpi and drm-next work thats been happening on CURRENT
>> to enable support for i915 and radeon GPU's has been ported to 11-STABLE.
>> i've been dog-fooding this code on current since for ever and it's gotten
>> quite stable.  i'd post a longer email - but i need to play minecraft on my
>> freebsd desktop (which happens to use this same code) with my son :)
> So, it's working for you?  Judging from forums, not yet working for
> everyone. Going to wait a few days before I try it.  (In theory, my Yoga2
> with Haswell should have been working, but doesn't, perhaps because it's
> HiDPI.).
I haven't tested yet as all my gear is running current ATM.  might
convert one of my kabylake systems to 11-STABLE later if I have time
tomorrow.  the code just got pushed today, so i'm not too surprised
about bugs.  hopefully this will get more people testing the lkpi and
drm-next code so we can get it more stable.

> Thanks very much for the update.  And yes, it's working quite well for me
> with CURRENT.
>
> I note that the Makefile, which used to say it wouldn't work with 11.x now
> only says it won't work with 10.x. I don't know if pkg is working, with
> CURRENT, I usually needed the port and also needed to have /usr/src
> populated.

i've been using the upstream pkg's on CURRENT w/o issue for a couple
months now - as long as i keep my world/userland reasonably up to date
things just work.  if i test 11-STABLE i'll def only use pkg's as i
think that will be closer to what general user expectations are.

AFAICT there are no plans to support 10.x at this point.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org