[talk] pfSense home unit

Brian Cully bcully at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 09:47:34 EST 2018

	I’m looking to buy a pfSense router for home use, and was looking for
recommendations. I don’t want to spend too much money, and the Netgate
ones seem kind of pricy and overkill for what I need.

	The home is served by a 200Mbps cable modem, so I’d think basically
any router would work fine. My main needs are:

	1) Ad blocking. I’ve gotten to the point where I want to put this on
the router itself, since they’re in goddamn everything and there’s no
such thing as Little Snitch for iOS.

	2) IPv6 tunnel with tunnelbroker.net.

	I’m pretty sure any pfSense device can deal with point 2, but I’d
like to be sure before I drop the cash. As for ad blocking, I think I
might need a little more horsepower to handle it. I also get the
impression that the only platform that has universal support is amd64.

	So can anyone recommend something, preferably amd64-based, that’ll
deal with the above, and preferably under $200?

-bjc