[talk] Strength of internet connection has significant impact on OpenBSD 'pkg-add'

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Sat Jan 13 10:40:17 EST 2018

Jim
  When you get the optimum setup ; promptly return all of the equipment the left you and purchase your own “new” cable modem ; and set you own router .

Depending on where you live they rent the modem to you for $5-15. A new modem is about $45-60 bucks. Why do all of this ? Most of the gear they leave with you is not new it’s pulled from old customer sites . Two the optimum provided router modem combo also has a public hotspot in it ; which is hard to fully disable . Optimum does a good job at segregation of the hotspot from your network but why you need to do it it’s always a good idea . Lastly you ca run a real openbsd router hooked up to your own modem and enjoy the fun of that .  To swap the modem you will need to contact optimum to swap in the new modem on their end .

---
Mark Saad | mark.saad at ymail.com