[talk] a Port Maintainer day conference in NYC

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Sun Jan 14 15:45:00 EST 2018

Ariel Sanchez Mora:
> All I'll add (since I don't live in NYC anymore) is that I miss bring part
> of such a vibrant community. If you are on the fence, don't take this
> lightly - dive in! It's an amazing opportunity!

Continuing the thread as a repository for sloppy streams of
consciousness. . .

I'm wondering if a good way to structure it might be:

morning:

each bsd project aggregates its port maintainers, and the figure out the
objectives for the afternoon, target ports, infrastructure-related
topics, and how to do afternoon tutorials for new devs.

the prospective port maintainers are in a general session about ports.
Let me explain this. I realize everyone is not living in 1999 Jordan
Hubbard-land, but looking at the commonalities of porting software is
possible. Licensing.  Building from source. GitHub. There must be some
common way to provide an overview of topics when it comes to porting to
the BSDs.  Although I can only think of a handful of people who
could/would do this with enough experience with porting to different BSDs.

afternoon:

this could be where the "prospects" go to their relevant BSD project,
and get hands-on and dirty, with some of the current maintainers
assisting, while others are openly working on the tasks they designated
earlier.

Keeping this alive...