[talk] Embargo/Foundation questions, Intel CPU/speculation bugs

Sujit K M kmsujit at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 11:02:10 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 12:06 AM, Isaac (.ike) Levy
<ike at blackskyresearch.net> wrote:
> Appreciate your time and thoughtful response GNN, 2 big questions remain, specific to FreeBSD:
>
> - What benefit have the vendor NDA's had for the FreeBSD project (particularly Intel)?

I see that FreeBSD patches are more correct than Linux. As claimed by
Linus Himself(only Linux Part,
I don't think he knows FreeBSD).

> - What negative effects have vendor NDA's had on the FreeBSD project?

As per me, NDA's contain the same document for any project be
proprietary/open source. If they are
are having a different view point for say proprietary OSes then It is
hitting FreeBSD in a big way.

I see NDA's are Cryptic was of hiding Intel's chipset features, Which
should be as Intel won't let any
one else take advantage of the current situation currently or in
future. It now depends on FreeBSD
project how they tackle and ensure that the patch released is correct
and is preventing the security holes.
I would suggest INFOSec companies to ensure this too as a part of
their credibility.