[talk] So Netgate bails on FreeBSD

Steve steve.b at osfda.org
Thu May 24 02:24:45 EDT 2018

Afterthought: the entire sell of Linux was that you did not have to buy
into Microsoft's program of bolting things in, in a desperate attempt to
get users used to and consequently addicted to features they could just
as well do without."Hey, look: it's Linux. Don't want a package or
subsystem? Uninstall it..."

And now the largest distributor of Linux in the US has done exactly
that: bolted in something which is clearly demonstrated in other distros
not being _absolutely required_ (as superior the security might be
claimed to be...)

In the same way an admin should have the right to opt out of updates
-even security ones- and have the discretion when they should be applied
(though strong recommendations and suggested update settings are clearly
a Good Idea!), selinux should not have been BOLTED in.

Ready to roll? Sure.
Having it enabled by default?? I can live with that...