[talk] dmesgd plugged

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Oct 7 15:06:51 EDT 2018

On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 12:44 PM Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:

> [...]
>

>> On Oct 6, 2018, at 5:48 PM, Brian Callahan <bcallah at devio.us> wrote:
>>

>> On 10/06/18 17:44, Warner Losh wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 2:26 PM George Rosamond <
>> george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Warner Losh:

>>> Yes... to echo brian... more is better.
>>>

>> Glad to hear it.
>>
>> BTW, there's a small niggle... FreeBSD just went to a reproducible build
>> by default, so there's strings like
>>
>> FreeBSD 12.0-ALPHA6  r338698+59ff9aa72cd4(master) amd64
>>
>> now that  lack the #xxx in them. This is for someone that's using git-svn
>> to build the release (which is why it has both the r# and the git hash). So
>> their submission was rejected.
>>
>> mine that was built with different options looked like:
>>
>> FreeBSD 12.0-ALPHA2 #40+8d55b8a51f5(freze-newer)-dirty: Wed Aug 22
>> 15:34:50 MDT 2018
>>
>> the person that contacted me was clueful enough to puzzle it  out, but I
>> thought I'd pass it along.
>>
>> Also, I was going to bang together a quick python script that
>> automatically submits the dmesg.boot file since the web page is kinda
>> klunky if you are doing a bunch of servers... Any objections? Anybody
>> beaten me to the punch?
>>

>> There's a Perl script by afresh1@ that does this for OpenBSD; I assume
>> it can be quickly made to support any other *BSD.
>> https://gist.github.com/afresh1/99cdd481184147f0e8c0
>>

>> Curl works as a one-liner:
>>
>> curl -v -d "nickname=spork" -d "email=spork at bway.net" -d 0 v2" -d
>> "do=addd" --data-urlencode 'dmesg@/var/run/dmesg.boot'
>> http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi
>>

> I think the third -d should be -d "description=name of machine v2" no?
>
> Warner
>
> http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=3851
>>

> I just did http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=3852 this way
> (though it's a legit entry too).
>

> All - just curious if anyone else uses dmidecode (sysutils/dmidecode)?
>
> More specifically, for anyone looking to script dmesg collection,
> dmidecode pulls some decent info about the make/model of the mainboard (or
> in some cases, the server as a whole) that would be useful info to have in
> the “description” field.
>
> For example, part of the summary on this HP server in my garage:
>
> Handle 0x0100, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
> System Information
>         Manufacturer: HP
>         Product Name: ProLiant ML10 v2
>         Version: Not Specified
>         Serial Number: CN65310J2D
>         UUID: 32353338-3636-4e43-3635-3331304a3244
>         Wake-up Type: Power Switch
>         SKU Number: 835266-P01
>         Family: ProLiant
>
> I’m wondering if there’s any way to grab this info without directing
> people to download yet another utility (I’m sure someone will grumble about
> ‘curl’). Of note, the first line of dmidecode’s output:
>
> # dmidecode 3.2
> Scanning /dev/mem for entry point.  <<<—  Hmmm?

FreeBSD's boot loader exports these as kenv variables, so I posted this:

curl -v -d "nickname=$USER" -d "email=$USER@$(hostname)" -d
"description=FreeBSD/$(uname -m) on $(kenv smbios.system.maker) $(kenv
smbios.system.product)" -d "do=addd" --data-urlencode 'dmesg@
/var/run/dmesg.boot' http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi

but some systems didn't fill in 'system' but did fill in 'planar' and vice
versa :( One can cope with *THAT* too, but it's messier as a one-liner.

Warner