[talk] FreeBSD Governance, Foundation/Project

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Wed Jun 12 15:43:03 EDT 2019

Hi All,

I've just finished listening to a very long video, still digesting it all:

"AsiaBSDCon 2019 DevSummit: We don't see a problem. Suggestion of Project Governance additions."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4MetxUV4N0

These are the slides from the presentation,
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1nu9WVp3-QgkDCQCT8eTAlyYLulADyflzCzmZ3-iX-V0/edit#slide=id.g54d9b68929_21_5

Attendees in the audience can be identified here:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/DevSummit/201903#Short_Talks

--

For almost every point, MD touches on something which has affected my life around the FreeBSD project, (personally and professionally).  MD tries hard not to posit all the solutions, but instead sparks a really long and valuable discussion among FreeBSD devs, core, and Foundation folks.  The talk isn't directly about code per-se, (but in the end, the issues are deeply technical.)

With the stiff opposition in the room, and the patience, directness, and openness MD exhibits in his presentation, I feel he deserves a commendation from the community for raising these issues- and that this presentation should perhaps be required viewing for any new Core/Foundation FreeBSD folks.  Criticism and introspection is always difficult for projects we all care so deeply about, but critical to growth and survival.

--
For those who have watched this, (or plan to, or were in the rooom), I'd love to openly hear people's thoughts on topics raised?

In the years since the FreeBSD Foundation emerged, what have been it's biggest success and failures for the FreEBSD project?  (Aside from the obvious success of paying Glen Barber to stabilize RELENG :)

Do other people see value in MD's points, and even better yet, do people have constructive ideas toward remediation for any of these issues?  Any constructive/actionable asks of the Project or the Foundation?

Best,
.ike