[talk] NAS hardware

Edward Capriolo edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 18:19:58 EDT 2019

We used to do this using super micro servers. They had a 1u model that
would support 2 data disks and they had a simple hardware raid.

However you could probably use any system and software RAID.(heck even
windows does disk mirroring)

Not sure about the bandwidth/disk network but these days a pi and a USB
storage device you handle it at the 1gB size.

On Monday, March 18, 2019, Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:

> On 3/18/19 2:21 PM, Ipsen S Ripsbusker wrote:
>
>> I want to make a small NAS with two disks in RAID1, or even just one
>> disk. Its only purpose will be to take nightly backups of less than 1GB.
>> What hardware should I use?
>>
>> The hardest part might be finding a case that small.
>>

> i know this isn't what you specifically asked for - but i'm a big fan of
> tarsnap for backup tasks like this:
> http://tarsnap.com/
>
> i put $50 on an account for work last year and i think i still have like
> $40 left, so Colin's pricing model works out pretty well for our use case
> of backing up critical configuration files that are not suitable for git.
>
> but maybe an Intel NUC will work for you if you'd prefer to use your own
> gear.  iirc they have an m.2 slot as well as sata slot for 2.5" drives.
>
> -pete
>
> --
> Pete Wright
> pete at nomadlogic.org
> @nomadlogicLA

Sorry this was sent from mobile. Will do less grammar and spell check than
usual.