[talk] NAS hardware

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Mar 18 19:07:59 EDT 2019

On 3/18/19 3:33 PM, Ipsen S Ripsbusker wrote:
> It seems that I asked in the right place!
>
> 1U is bigger than I was hoping for, but, well, maybe if I switched everything for rackmount it would be pretty okay.
>
> I already using Tarsnap for something smaller stuff, in fact. I put $25 on an account last decade and I think I still have $10 left. But this is to download an offsite backup so that I have another copy locally and can recover quickly in case of a failure. Moreover, even if it grows slowly, total backup size is currently about 1.5TB, and that is expensive on Tarsnap.
>
> I tried it once with Pi and USB storage device, but the connectors were all unreliable. And that included the SATA connector in the hard drive, so I wound up removing the hard drive from the enclosure and using it in another computer! This does seem like it should be the best option, though. I would use Rock64 rather than Pi. Do you recommend any particular USB storage device?
>
> And my understanding was that driver support is rather disappointing for Intel NUC, but has that perhaps changed?
I personally don't have a NUC, but it looks like KIB got it working and
posted the dmesg last year:
https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=3899

iX Systems also builds appliances for FreeNAS (which I am sure can
easily run other BSD's if you desire):
https://www.ixsystems.com/freenas-mini/

I was going to purchase a Mini when I was doing a similar exercise for
my office, but the price was a bit higher than the homebrew version I
cobbled together using a USB shoebox, 6 HDD's and a Dell server I got on
sale.

later,
-pete

--