[talk] AWS vs Azure

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Sat May 11 12:43:54 EDT 2019

On 5/11/19 4:42 AM, Sujit K M wrote:
> On a recent discussion I was rightly pointed to a lot of FreeBSD work
> that went into FreeBSD for AWS. I might not be that correct saying AWS
> is there for FreeBSD 11.

There are AMI's available from Colin Percival going back to 8.x iirc - I
believe the release-engineering team (and thus official AMI images)
started being available with 11.x or 12.x.

> Now on parallel, I checked a kernel built install for Linux Kernel 5.0 and
> it really went smoothly.
>
> What I want to know is how does AWS/Azure look up kernel. I thought
> we have some FreeBSD experts who would like to let us know what exactly
> goes into the image to make it a smooth transition from one version of OS
> to another. Though I could have googled and got the information. I would like
> to concrete implementation details I can rely on.
I am not really sure what you are asking.  i've never had issues running
make buildworld to do source updates of freebsd on AWS, nor using
freebsd-update.

as far as generating AMI images I believe the current release process is
based on this initial work done by Colin:
http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2015-11-21-FreeBSD-AMI-builder-AMI.html
this might be out of date but hopefully is a good starting point for how
the whole process looks.

-pete

--
Pete Wright