[talk] AWS vs Azure

Sujit K M kmsujit at gmail.com
Sat May 11 23:45:08 EDT 2019

> > Now on parallel, I checked a kernel built install for Linux Kernel 5.0 and
> > it really went smoothly.
> >
> > What I want to know is how does AWS/Azure look up kernel. I thought
> > we have some FreeBSD experts who would like to let us know what exactly
> > goes into the image to make it a smooth transition from one version of OS
> > to another. Though I could have googled and got the information. I would like
> > to concrete implementation details I can rely on.
> I am not really sure what you are asking.  i've never had issues running
> make buildworld to do source updates of freebsd on AWS, nor using
> freebsd-update.

I am more interested in knowing the how the for example operating
environment is detected
for example using AWS.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/AMIs.html

I would like to know more than what is given in the above link as
certainly I should be able
to configure an instance.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/UserProvidedKernels.html

The above link gives how a custom linux kernel can be used. But my
question more to anything
other is what are dependencies for example I move from Linux Kernel
version 3.0 to Linux Kernel
version 5.0 what is the guarantee that the Image generated is correct.
Does AWS imply that unless
Amazon Certify the 5.0 Kernel It cannot be done.