[talk] November Installfest gear checklist/ideas

jpb jpb at jimby.name
Mon Oct 28 22:29:23 EDT 2019

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 12:50:13 -0400
Robert Menes <viewtiful.icchan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> The installfest is just over a week, so we should do a quick
> checklist of what we need to bring for everyone to use.
>
> I know Pat mentioned he'll bring PSUs for SoC boards and a monitor
> with different connectors.
>
> I'll bring a couple of keyboards and mice, along with some Raspberry
> Pi's (I got my Pi 4!), and a couple of video cables (VGA and HDMI).
> I'm also bringing my ThinkPad T40 with OpenBSD 6.6 and my WorkPad Z50.
>
> We should make sure that we have enough of the following:
>
> * Power strips
> * Video cables
> * WiFi cards (for older HW)
> * Input devices (KB, mice)
> * Suggestions ???
>
> I know I won't get any gear like this any time soon but does anyone
> have any hardware that can run RetroBSD? I'd love to see that running
> again.
>
> One last idea: SIMH running older BSDs would be fun, too!
>
> --Robert

If old BSDs are your thing, have a turn with 1.0.

https://www.jimby.name/techbits/abitolder/fbsd_bd/

The instructions might be a bit dated for recent versions of
FreeBSD hosting Qemu.  Still, you should be able to work it out.

If you just want to see it working, check the video:

https://www.jimby.name/techbits/abitolder/fbsd_bd/fbsd_bd.mpg

(Trumpets start at about 18 seconds. Wait for it...)

I had it available at the birthday party, but Matt didn't use it.
He put up Alan Jude's ultra cool video of the commit log shootout.

/me tips hat to Alan...

Jim B.