[talk] Raspberry Pi 4 BSD compatibility [OT]

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed Oct 30 11:01:49 EDT 2019

On 10/28/19 3:41 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:

>> On Oct 21, 2019, at 9:56 AM, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>>
>> John C. Vernaleo:
>>> Last I heard OpenBSD supports everything except wifi on the pinebook.  I
>>> believe the others are similar.  I haven't personally confirmed yet as
>>> my pinebook is currently under a pile of papers on my desk, but it does
>>> have a date with an openbsd install very soon.
>>
>> Oh, funny.  That's precisely why I didn't order a Pinebook. I'm sure
>> there's a lot of other hardware under my piles that will shock me.
>>
>> USB wifi tends to be my default choice, anyways, so that's not a deal
>> killer to me.
>
> This is OT, but can you post a list of those that you find not terrible?
>
> I’ve been doing some work with co-working spaces and would kill for a high quality USB dongle I could recommend when a client has some built-in nonsense that’s too old or barfs on 802.11k or other new stuff that it shouldn’t.
>
> The reviews for all USB wifi are awful, and our experience with walk-in folks using various dongles you find at Best Buy have been universally bad (could just be windows drivers I guess?).

I think it's going to depend on which BSD Spork.

If you're fine with 2.4GHz, then the standard Microcenter urtwn(4) or
run(4) devices should be fine, although urtwn(4) needs firmware.

One i have is the TP-Link TL-WN725N, then there's the Tenda.

On OpenBSD:

Oct 30 10:59:39 xxx /bsd: urtwn0 at uhub0 port 6 configuration 1
interface 0 "Realtek 802.11n WLAN Adapter" rev 2.00/2.00 addr 3
Oct 30 10:59:39 xxx /bsd: urtwn0: MAC/BB RTL8188CUS, RF 6052 1T1R,
address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Oct 30 11:00:37 xxx /bsd: run0 at uhub0 port 6 configuration 1 interface
0 "Ralink 802.11 n WLAN" rev 2.00/1.01 addr 3
Oct 30 11:00:37 x70lap /bsd: run0: MAC/BBP RT5390 (rev 0x0502), RF
RT5370 (MIMO 1T1R), address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx