[talk] new 14" Pinebook

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Mon Sep 16 08:51:00 EDT 2019

Raul Cuza:
> On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 9:58 PM George Rosamond
> <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>>
>> Coming next month:
>>
>> https://store.pine64.org/?product=14%e2%80%b3-pinebook-pro-linux-laptop-64gb-emmc-iso-keyboard-estimated-dispatch-in-october-2019
>>
>> I never got around to getting the previous line, but I think some people
>> on this list did.
>>
>> Any insight?
>>
>> Even if it's not a perfect solution, it definitely seems worth it having
>> aarch64, especially at that price.

> """
> When fulfilling the purchase, please bear in mind that we are offering
> the Pinebook Pro at this price as a community service to PINE64, Linux
> and BSD communities. We make no profit from selling these units. If
> you think that a minor dissatisfaction, such as a dead pixel, will
> prompt you to file a PayPal dispute then please do not purchase the
> Pinebook Pro. Thank you.
> """
> Ha!

Well, I respectfully disagree with you on that Raul.

You have to realize most people will see "laptop" and assume it's going
to have the support particulars of a Lenovo or Dell.

A similiar notion accompanied Beaglebone, RPIs, etc, and it was just
excepted, even if it wasn't stated explicitly.

The difference is that this is in laptop form, as opposed to a raw board.

I'd approach the laptop as I would any of those other SoC systems. I
wasn't going to complain about various SD-related pickiness, etc with
the other SoCs.

I think it's remarkable that a company would produce such a laptop,
essentially with a dev board inside, at such a reasonable price, aimed
at our community.

I haven't ordered one at this point, but to have an aarch64 device
without worrying about serial or HDMI, etc, in a functional device, is
an accomplishment in itself.