[talk] ThinkPad X270 ($429) -- good idea?

George Neville-Neil gnn at neville-neil.com
Wed Sep 18 16:05:11 EDT 2019

On 18 Sep 2019, at 20:45, N.J. Thomas wrote:

> * George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> [2019-09-18
> 14:45:49-0400]:
>>> In the market for a cheap and small BSD laptop. Lenovo has the X270
>>> on sale right now:
>>
>> I think there's many people running BSDs on that.. check dmesgd.
>
> Yup, I had checked this. Loads of folks running the X270 with no
> problems. No one is running the 11e, as far as I can tell.
>
>> I'm completely happy with all the x2?? series I've dealt with.  x230
>> is my current and next laptop.  IIRC, lighter than the x240, and dirt
>> cheap.
>
> Yeah, pretty much everyone who has the X series has only good things
> say about it, so I will pull the trigger on the X270.
>
>> I do with the old x120e series with 11.4" screen was revised... I
>> mean, was there anything better than an x40?
>
> Yeah, I was hoping to go smaller than 12.5", and I'm surprised I found
> the ThinkPad 11e with the 11.6" screen. I thought pretty much all the
> manufacturers had abandoned anything smaller than a 12.5" screen to
> avoid cannibalizing their 14"+ laptop markets.

Up until (and including) the 270 the 2XX series has been the laptop of
choice for FreeBSD developers, including myself, and I note that BSD
conference have plenty of Lenovo boxes running all the BSD.  The loss of
the built in ethernet port on the 280 sent me to the X1 Carbon during
this upgrade season.  If I was going to have to carry a dongle I was at
least going to get a lighter laptop out of it.  I've always been happy
with the Lenovo machines.

Best,
George