[Tor-BSD] Building latest Tor release for FreeBSD and pfSense 2.1

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Fri Dec 13 20:00:31 EST 2013

This is rather a left-handed cross post from nycbug-talk, based on my
search results. And please forgive, if it seems off-topic.

I've installed Tor from the FreeBSD 8.1 port repository on pfSense 2.03
using instructions at
<http://skear.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Set-Up-a-Tor-Proxy-Server-on-pfSense>.
Tor works well, but it's an ancient alpha release. I've tried the same
for Tor from the FreeBSD 8.2 port repository on pfSense 2.1 but Tor
won't run. I haven't bothered debugging, because it's only a slightly
less ancient alpha release.

I would like to build the latest Tor release for pfSense 2.1, but that
would be a stretch for me. What would the build environment look like?
I'm guessing that it would be based on FreeBSD, rather than on pfSense.