[Tor-BSD] Hi new list/Recommended operating platforms

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Feb 19 13:27:52 EST 2013

On 02/19/13 09:24, Brian Callahan wrote:
> Hi everyone --

And 'hi' to you too Brian.  I was going to wait until it was announced
to broader audiences, but no need to delay.  The archives are online.

> As mentioned on the NYCBUG Announcement list, the only BSD recommended
> by the Tor Project is FreeBSD 5.x or higher, despite there being ports
> for the other BSDs. Does anyone know where I can find the Tor project's
> rationale behind that?

First thing I'd note is that one of the weaknesses of Tor's network is
that it's overwhelmingly Linux, and thus a monoculture.  There are OSX,
FreeBSD, Windows and OpenBSD relays out there, but I think enabling the
BSDs to be a better performing platform would help diversify the base.

A very useful list:

http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/

So it's in the FAQ:

https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#RelayMemory

But AFAIK, all the BSDs have lower performance than the Linuxes with
Tor, and I only started recently to dive into the related sysctl knobs.
 Then again, benchmarking is another big path to dive into...