[Tor-BSD] other issues to discuss?

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Feb 19 18:03:25 EST 2013

So Brian will be looking at Tor on OpenBSD/i386 once I'm able to get to
the data center to build the box.  Not bad for the first week of this list.

Other issues to consider/approach:

1.  Tor on NetBSD

2.  Tor Browser Bundle on BSD desktops

3.  Optimizing.  So TorServers.net has a bunch of sysctl knobs for Linux
at https://www.torservers.net/wiki/setup/server#sysctlconf.  With a
quick look, most of these look do-able in the BSDs.

4.  Maybe working towards similar build documents.  Besides what they
already did for Linux, adding crypto accelerator support for the various
supported chips in the OS and in the torrc, using the various memory
disks (eg, md, tmpfs), etc.

There's a lot of other issues I can think of to add, eg, I find that
TorButton is a problem on FreeBSD/i386/8-Stable, and for some reason,
doesn't allow Firefox to startup.

But I think it may be useful to hear where others are coming from and
their experiences.

Personally, I've been running 6-8 relays, all bridges except for one
non-exit relay, for a long time now.  Some in FreeBSD jails, some on
Alix or Soekris boxen, a few on full server-type hardware.