[Tor-BSD] This list...

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Fri Jun 14 10:04:28 EDT 2013

Linus Nordberg:
> George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote
> Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:40:06 -0400:
>
> | I don't think there's a tangible immediate benefit, as I said, but I
> | also think the less written to disk for an anonymity system, the better.
>
> OK. Just be aware that a Tor relay writes stuff to $datadir (normally
> /var/db/tor/) that you don't want to lose. Like its key.

Yes.. and /var/tor on OpenBSD.

Now a question...

So with FreeBSD clients, running /var/db/tor in RAM, repopulating that
directory isn't an issue, AFAIK.

In /etc/fstab, you could have:

tmpfs		/var/db/tor	tmpfs	rw,size=20M,uid=256,gid=256,mode=0700	0	0

Recreating a fingerprint on boot doesn't matter.

While I don't generally do this on relays, what are the negatives about
doing it on relays?  Yes, your fingerprint gets recreated and you lose
any "credibility" as a relay.  And it then takes time to become marked
stable or a guard.

I don't see it necessarily as a big negative.  No, I don't make a habit
of putting /var/db/tor on a RAM-based disk for any relay, it does makes
sense for devices running off microSD cards, for instance.  The less
writes, the better on those.

Yes?  No?