[Tor-BSD] status Tor porting on BSDs?

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Thu Mar 7 14:34:34 EST 2013

On 03/07/13 14:28, Heptas Torres wrote:
> Hi Tor-BSD,
> Newbie here just joined. I saw your announcement about this list on
> tor-talk containing the following:
>
> --------------
> At this point, the only BSD recommended by the Tor Project is FreeBSD
> 5.x or higher. While there is an OpenBSD port, and a pkgsrc port for
> NetBSD and Dragonfly BSD, they are not considered recommended
> operating system platforms.
>
> Why exactly the OpenBSD port is not considered recommended? What
> exactly would require to become "recommended"?

Greetings Heptas.

It's a performance question AFAIK, as it appears that OpenBSD is using
rthreads.

In NYC, we took a FreeBSD Tor bridge and it's now running a recent
OpenBSD snapshot, and someone on this list will be diving into the issue.

Other input on this is certainly welcome.

(btw, you posted with a different address than you subscribed with)