[Tor-BSD] Porting Tor Browser to the BSDs

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Feb 17 14:55:39 EST 2015

Carlo Strub:
> 17/02/2015 17:32 - Libertas wrote:
>
>> Has anyone looked into this? I talked to the maintainer of the OpenBSD
>> Firefox port, but he wasn't very interested and pointed out the
>> difficulty caused by the deterministic build system.
>>
>> I can verify that it doesn't work out of the box, but haven't had time
>> to play with it much more than that. I think that the Tor Browser is an
>> increasingly important tool, and that it's a problem that it isn't
>> available on the BSDs.
>>
>> Thoughts? Suggestions?
>>

> Never tried it. Maybe www/firefox is a good starting point. Would be good to re-use already ported software such as security/tor, etc.

Actually, www/firefox-esr is probably a better bet. There's less jumps
in features, and therefore opportunities to break SOCKS.

The problem is tracking TBB and keeping the patches applied cleanly,
assuming you build using the current TBB model.

One of the central criteria for success is the full fingerprint, and
whether it is identical to the official TBB.