[Tor-BSD] Porting Tor Browser to the BSDs

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 15:45:47 EST 2015

> On 18 Feb 2015, at 06:55 , George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>
> Carlo Strub:
>> 17/02/2015 17:32 - Libertas wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone looked into this? I talked to the maintainer of the OpenBSD
>>> Firefox port, but he wasn't very interested and pointed out the
>>> difficulty caused by the deterministic build system.
>>>
>>> I can verify that it doesn't work out of the box, but haven't had time
>>> to play with it much more than that. I think that the Tor Browser is an
>>> increasingly important tool, and that it's a problem that it isn't
>>> available on the BSDs.
>>>
>>> Thoughts? Suggestions?
>>
>> Never tried it. Maybe www/firefox is a good starting point. Would be good to re-use already ported software such as security/tor, etc.
>
> Actually, www/firefox-esr is probably a better bet. There's less jumps
> in features, and therefore opportunities to break SOCKS.
>
> The problem is tracking TBB and keeping the patches applied cleanly,
> assuming you build using the current TBB model.
>
> One of the central criteria for success is the full fingerprint, and
> whether it is identical to the official TBB.

Hang on, since there's no official TBB for BSD, there is no official full fingerprint to be identical to.

But if it is built using the deterministic build process (which uses cross-compilers in an Ubuntu Linux VM on a Debian host), it should be identical on all platforms.

But let's just get it compiling natively on OpenBSD first!

teor

teor2345 at gmail dot com
pgp 0xABFED1AC
https://gist.github.com/teor2345/d033b8ce0a99adbc89c5

teor at blah dot im
OTR C3C57B23 349825DE 929A1DEF C3531C25 A32287ED