[Tor-BSD] Recognizing Randomness Exhaustion

Libertas libertas at mykolab.com
Fri Jan 2 00:23:53 EST 2015

I've tuned PF parameters in the past, but it doesn't seem to be the
issue. My current pfctl and netstat -m outputs suggest that there are
more than enough available resources and no reported failures.

I remember someone on tor-bsd at list.nycbug.org suggesting that it could
be at least partially due to PF being slower than other OS's firewalls.

However, we're now finding that a profusion of gettimeofday() syscalls
may be the issue. It was independently discovered by the operator of
IPredator, the highest-bandwidth Tor relay:

	https://ipredator.se/guide/torserver#performance

My 800 KB/s exit node had up to 7,000 gettimeofday() calls a second,
along with hundreds of clock_gettime() calls.

Because IPredator runs Linux, he used vsyscalls to speed things up.
We'll probably need to find something more creative, like using our time
caching more.

We're working on it with this ticket: