[Tor-BSD] Recognizing Randomness Exhaustion

Brian Callahan bcallah at devio.us
Fri Jan 2 00:30:34 EST 2015

Hi Libertas --

On 01/02/15 00:23, Libertas wrote:
> I've tuned PF parameters in the past, but it doesn't seem to be the
> issue. My current pfctl and netstat -m outputs suggest that there are
> more than enough available resources and no reported failures.
>
> I remember someone on tor-bsd at list.nycbug.org suggesting that it could
> be at least partially due to PF being slower than other OS's firewalls.
>
> However, we're now finding that a profusion of gettimeofday() syscalls
> may be the issue. It was independently discovered by the operator of
> IPredator, the highest-bandwidth Tor relay:
>
> 	https://ipredator.se/guide/torserver#performance
>
> My 800 KB/s exit node had up to 7,000 gettimeofday() calls a second,
> along with hundreds of clock_gettime() calls.
>
> Because IPredator runs Linux, he used vsyscalls to speed things up.
> We'll probably need to find something more creative, like using our time
> caching more.
>
> We're working on it with this ticket:
>
> 	https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/14056

I can't speak for the misc list, but please do not top-post on nycbug
lists. It makes it much more difficult to follow along with the
conversation, and is also mentioned explicitly in our rules:

---
*Please do not top post*

    Top Posting refers to responding to a message from the top of the
    response email. While this is often the convention for many email
    discussions and is also the default for most end-user mail
    applications, it is inconvenient for the many who follow the list
    with text-based mail user agents (MUAs), such as Pine and Mutt. When
    responding to a message, please begin your response at the bottom of
    the message or below the first part you want to comment on and work
    your way down.

---

However, I am glad to see the list being so active; don't interpret this
message as an injunction to stop posting altogether.

~Brian