[Tor-BSD] Having issues forcing Tor release 0.2.6.9 to build with update libssl.so.32.0 library

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 20:42:27 EDT 2015

> On 1 Jul 2015, at 06:02 , Seth <list at sysfu.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 11:44:41 -0700, teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> But hang on, I've been assuming you're using bash. The default shell on OpenBSD is (pd)ksh, so this may affect the syntax for setting and exporting environmental variables.
>>
>> Whether you're using bash or not, can you please retry the following steps with explicit environmental variable assignments on the ./configure command-line. (This might also have affected whether your previous LDFLAGS setting was used by ./configure, but LDFLAGS shouldn't be needed.)
>
> Yes, the system is using the default OpenBSD shell.
>
> $ echo $SHELL
> /bin/ksh
>
> Not sure how setting environmental variables 'explicitly' differs from what I've been doing. As far as I am aware if you want to set a variable on the command line you just plug it in before the command e.g. 'VARIABLE=value123 somecommand'

This sets VAR to value in the environment, and then runs configure
VAR=value ./configure

This tells configure to set VAR to value in the environment of any tasks it runs
./configure VAR=value

It shouldn't make any difference, but if you're having trouble the first way, try the second.

>> I really need to see the exact linker command-line to diagnose this issue. (Or, more likely, to log the issue and refer it to our OpenSSL/LibreSSL experts via the Tor Trac system.)
>>
>> Can you please send me the results of a verbose build (more precisely, a verbose link) with your system compiler/linker?
>
> Would that be something like
>
> $ cd /usr/local/src/tor   # change into latest tor source pull from git
> $ sudo -s
> # PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH ./configure --with-openssl-dir=/usr/local --disable-asciidoc CC="/usr/bin/gcc -v"
> # make check | tee verbose-make-output.log

Yes, that's what I'd like.

Here are a few suggested tweaks:
* You don't need to run sudo until you're installing, so it's best practice to build and test without it.
* You're changing the configuration, so it's best to run a "make clean".
* Let's just change one thing at a time - so no changes to $PATH yet

Putting all those together:
cd /usr/local/src/tor   # change into latest tor source pull from git
sudo make clean      # since you used sudo to build, you'll need to use it to clean the first time
./configure --with-openssl-dir=/usr/local --disable-asciidoc CC="/usr/bin/gcc -v"
make check | tee verbose-make-output.log

That should give me the linker command that ./configure is generating, which is enough to log a bug in Tor's Trac system.

Thanks

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
pgp 0xABFED1AC
https://gist.github.com/teor2345/d033b8ce0a99adbc89c5

teor at blah dot im
OTR D5BE4EC2 255D7585 F3874930 DB130265 7C9EBBC7