[Tor-BSD] FreeBSD permissions issues

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 19:18:34 EST 2015

> On 18 Nov 2015, at 11:16, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>

> Tim Wilson-Brown - teor:
>>
>>> On 18 Nov 2015, at 10:45, George Rosamond
>>> <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Pete Wright:

>>> I don't think it's frowned on, and it's something that I should
>>> have submitted as a PR a long time ago.
>>>
>>> IMHO, it should be simple enough to provide "post-install"
>>> instructions…
>>
>> This step will delete any previous keys for a relay, so please don't
>> automate it:
>>
>>> rm -r /var/db/tor /var/run/tor
>>
>> When the relay starts up with no keys, it will generate a new key at
>> random. Any clients using the relay as a guard will then pick another
>> guard. All the Tor consensus flags on the relay will be reset, and
>> the flags that depend on stability may take a week or so to come
>> back.
>
> Yes.  Very true.  I thought we were just referring to the creation and
> setting permissions for the tor log file?

I couldn't tell from the email trail which steps were being automated.

The mkdir -p of those directories should be ok to automate on every install.
Automating the chmod/chown could annoy people with custom setups.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F